First thing you need to do, on any OS actually, is update the system! For that: Apple Icon > App Store > Software Update.
If this is a new computer, there are a couple tweaks you would like to make to the System Preferences. Feel free to follow these, or to ignore them, depending on your personal preferences.
Users and Groups
- Login Options-> Change fast switching user menu to Icon
- Set up Password, Apple id, Picture , etc.
- Point & Click
- Enable Tap to Click with one finger
- Change secondary click to right corner
- Uncheck three finger drag
- Scroll and Zoom
- Uncheck all apart from Zoom in and out
- Update to add path, new folder and delete
- Add home and code directory
- Remove shared and tags
- New finder window to open in the home directory
- Remove the display and bluetooth icons
- Change battery to show percentage symbols
- Uncheck fonts, images, files etc.
- Uncheck the keyboard shortcuts as we'll be replacing them with Alfred.
- Add an iCloud account and sync Calendar, Find my mac, Contacts etc.